Constitution Plaza (Zócalo) Oaxaca city
Constitution Plaza (Zócalo): it is rooted in the profoundest part of Oaxaca’s history and was built in 1529 by Juan Pelaez de Berrio, the first city mayor. Its austere design was kept with no major changes until 1793, year in which a fountain made of marble was installed, which in turn was replaced by a kiosk in 1857, which, curiously enough, would run the same fate two years later. A statue of Benito Juarez, the illustrious son of Oaxaca that was elected Constitutional President of the Republic in 1861, was placed instead of the kiosk.
Remodeling continued and in 1901 the current kiosk of art nouveau features, in which music spectacles are presented every weekend, thus giving an exaggerated welcoming ambience to the historic plaza, which is the heart of the city, was installed. It is flanked by the Palace of Government and the Cathedral, two outstanding samples of architecture in Oaxaca.
Located between Hidalgo, Trujano, Flores Magón and Bustamante Streets, the Zócalo is dressed for party during the celebrations of the Night of Radishes (23rd of December), Christmas Eve (24th of December) and the Cry of Independence (15th of September), dates in which animated festivals take place