The Cathedral of Oaxaca city
The Cathedral of Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion started its construction in 1535, being consecrated the main temple of Oaxaca City on July 12, 1733.
The cathedral went through several stages of construction to reach its current form. The first work began in 1535 and ended in 1574. The design consisted of three naves with walls and pillars covered with beams and tiled roof. By 1667 the Church authorities authorized the construction of the vaults of the aisles, sacristy and chapter house, which was completed in 1678. In 1682 the side chapels were drawn, concluding its construction in 1694.
A strong earthquake in 1714 caused serious damage, both inside and in front, forcing close. In 1724 they decided the reconstruction, giving the project to local architect Miguel de Sanabria on 17 October that year. The project included building the vaults of The Sagrario chapel and the Guadalupe Chapel. The reconstruction works were limited to the reopening in 1730, just before Christmas of that year.
The opening and dedication to the Virgin of the Assumption of Mary was made by Bishop Fray Francisco Santiago and Calderon on April 21, 1733. Between 1735 and 1736 were rebuilt the towers. The cover design was approved on April 21, 1741 and its construction was completed in 1752.
The facade is composed of three sections of baroque style. First, there are three doors with arches, while the sides of the central door are paths sculptures representing St. Peter and St. Paul. The second body is a carved stone image of Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion on clouds and cherubs, on one side are San Marcial and San Jose and on the other are San Cristobal and San Pedro Martir. In the middle of the third body there is a panel representing the sacrament of the Eucharist with a chalice around a mantle supported by angels between clouds. On the cover is the Holy Spirit as a dove with its outstretched wings emanating light and an iron railing wrought.
The towers of the temple are not original, since these were demolished in 1931 by an earthquake. In the south there is a clock donated to Oaxaca by King Ferdinand VII. The Lord of Lightning is in the last chapel on the left, while the second from the right contains the remains of the Cross of Huatulco.
At the entrance of the cathedral is a representation of the Virgin of Pardon. The south door is in the center of Santa Rosa de Lima, a window with a leaded representing the Virgin Mary, protected by a wrought iron fence.